Finding lost super

There are billions of dollars in lost super waiting to be claimed in Australia. Some of it might be yours!

If you’ve ever changed your name, address or job and your previous fund/s can’t contact you, you may be listed on the ATO’s lost members’ register.

To track down your lost super, you can:

  • Search for lost super on the ATO website, or
  • Create a myGov account, which is an Australian Government initiative to enable Australians to link a range of government services and access them all in one place. Your myGov account will give you access to details of all your super accounts, including any you have lost track of.

You can then consolidate any lost super into your APSS Member Savings account.

How people ‘lose’ super

Super benefits are often unclaimed and become lost:

  • where a member has reached age 65, hasn’t made any recent contributions and the fund hasn't been able to contact them
  • where the fund can’t contact a beneficiary of a deceased member who hasn’t made any recent contributions
  • six months or more after a former temporary resident has left Australia following their visa expiry (excludes New Zealand citizens)
  • where the former spouse of a member has become entitled to an amount payable from their spouse’s super due to divorce or relationship breakdown and the fund can’t contact that person
  • where the super account has a small balance and/or an prescribed period of inactivity.