Remember, limited services apply from 22 April ahead of the APSS merger with Australian Retirement Trust on 30 April.

Why contribute for your spouse?

You might want to contribute for your spouse to help ensure your spouse’s super savings don’t fall behind; for example, if your spouse is out of the workforce for a time. There’s a tax offset opportunity for employee members (see the ATO websiteOpens in new window), and there may be contribution splitting tax advantages for a couple as mentioned above.

Contribute after tax

Employee members can help their spouse members grow their super by making after-tax (non-concessional) contributions into their spouse’s APSS account. After-tax contributions cannot be split across two accounts, but before tax contributions can.

To contribute for your spouse, you first need to have opened an APSS Spouse Account for your spouse by completing the form in the relevant Product Disclosure Statement you will find in Product disclosureOpens in new window.

Once it’s set up, it’s easy to make after-tax contributions to it:

  • Go to Print a formOpens in new window to download the Make a Spouse Account contribution form.
  • Make out a cheque or money order payable to the APSS for the amount you wish to contribute.
  • Mail the cheque or money order together with the form to:
    APSS, Locked Bag A5005, SYDNEY SOUTH, NSW, 1235.

If your spouse is 65 to 69 years of age, you can only make spouse contributions if your spouse is currently employed in the paid workforce on at least a part-time basis (i.e. at least 40 hours in a period of 30 consecutive days during the most recent financial year). We can’t accept spouse contributions if your spouse is age 70 or older.

Contribute before tax

In some cases, up to 85% of before-tax (concessional) contributions for a financial year can also be ‘split’ across the accounts of both the employee and the spouse member. There may be tax advantages for a couple who income splits, but it’s a complex area that really requires at least some professional financial advice.

Learn more about 'contribution splitting' here.